[rescue] SCO Openserver

Linc Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Mon Mar 4 08:33:50 CST 2002

On Mon, 4 Mar 2002, Brian Hechinger wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 04, 2002 at 06:23:20AM -0500, Julius Sridhar wrote:
> >
> > > Before I put any time into learning it, is there any future for
> > > SCO/Caldera Openserver ? I.e. is it likely to still be fairly
> > > common in 5 years time.
> >
> > It really isn't fairly common now, is it?  Most of the people I knew who
> > were running Openserver a couple of years ago (myself included) are no
> > longer.
>
> and those who do are holding on by a thread.  is it even supported and/or
> coded for anymore by anyone?  or has it become a stagnant item?

Well, having worked with it, on it, and around it for the last 6 years, I
can tell you that it's still supported, still being developed and will
still be around for quite sometime to come.  The fact that a Linux company
now has control is only a bonus to SCO.  Might make it a little more easy
to integrate some gnu utils..  Would be more up-to-date then and
useable.  At any rate, OSRV5 is still Compaq's most supported unix.  Same
with a lot of other companies.  That's how I am sitting on 5 SCO OSRV
servers here - shipped to me in Compaq Proliant ML530's...

-Linc Fessenden