[rescue] StorageWorks cabinet rescue

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Mon Mar 4 01:52:46 CST 2002

"William W. Arnold" wrote:

> >> Thanks, please do. How large does the later firmware allow?
> >
> >9G.  There's a later one that I think allows 18G, but I
> >don't have a copy at this time.
>
> 9x24 is a respectible array.
>
> Does anyone else listening have the 18G firmware?

Well, I have since we're under maintainence contract. However, we only
have PCMCIA-cards, so if anyone here knows how to update or read these
cards, let me know.

> >> Also: so those are BA350 shelves?  I saw some mention of them in
> >> my google searches, but wasn't sure.  I'll go look at what I can
> >> find on them now.
> >
> >If they have two fifty-pin SCSI connectors built in beside
> >the slot 0 connector, then they are BA350 shelves.
>
> Nope.  Visible connectors inside from the front are:
> power, disk, disk, disk, disk, disk, disk, power
>
> Note that the scsi busses run vertically through the 4
> shelves, so the bottom shelf is target 0 on buss's
> 1-6, the second shelf is target 1, etc.

That sounds 100% like our "RAIDarray 410" boxes. 6 SCSI-buses split over
SCSI-ID 0-3, making 24 disk drives.
On the back of our boxes it reads "SW300-AA" and what you've seen,
"SWXSC-AA". Some of these boxes have a sticker behind the front door,
"WIDE SCSI CAPABLE", and they work 100% OK with the blue SBB's (Wide,
UltraSCSI).

Performence-wise, the best cost/performence for us is to make a 6-member
RAIDset spanning all six channels. I don't think the HSOF supports
24-member RAIDsets though. In that case, make four individual RAIDsets
and software-stripe across'em.

Anything more than 1-2 spare drives is a waste IMO. :-)

--
Vdnliga hdlsningar/Best Regards
Bjvrn Ramqvist, Hdgglunds Vehicle AB