[rescue] hot swap scsi

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Sun Mar 3 23:07:49 CST 2002

I was reading the scsi faq (trying to refresh my memory about what different
things mean for speed), and noticed a section on hot swapping SCSI devices.

It basically says that you need only to things.  To power the device up before
connecting to the bus and not powering down until the connection is broken is
the first requirement.  The second requirement is to be able to stop traffic
to the device in question before removing it.

For the first requirement, it is easy to control with external devices.  SCA
connector are also designed specially to meet this requirement.

So, is it possible on linux, netbsd, or solaris to stop traffic to a device?

Also, will linux, netbsd, or solaris recognize a new device appearing on
the scsi bus without a reboot?  I think to some extent Solaris won't because
even with a reboot it wouldn't recognize my cd-rom until I did a boot -r.

--
Joshua D. Boyd