[rescue] Mac stuff rescue

Steve Sandau ssandau at bath.tmac.com
Sun Mar 3 13:57:41 CST 2002

I was just complaining at work Friday that no one around here ever
throws away any decent junk. ;)

Just after that, I had occasion to call a friend who owns a print shop,
and he told me about this big pile of computer stuff he was gonna chuck.
(Hrmmm. Maybe I should complain more often? Nahhh.)

So, I filled the back of my Taurus wagon (a good car for an automatic
transmission, BTW) with stuff including:

an Apple LaerWriter II with some type of external hard drive
an Xante Accel-a-Writer package for the LaserWriter
A Mac II ci (suppposed to be working...)
a LaCie Color Image Scanner (SCSI, parallel and serial interfaces)
two external 88MB SyQuest drives (!) with 30+ carts for them
an Apple Color Plus 14" monitor
cables, keyboards, mouse, AppleTalk dongles, terminators, etc.

Pretty cool stuff. I may need to set up an Apple Talk network, since I
now have 4 working Macs. I think I'll try and use the scanner on a Unix
box, and probably attach the LaserWriter to the IPX Mike N just sent me
that now has NetBSD on it. (I *like* NetBSD so far. Have it on a Centris
610 and the IPX.) That way I can finally print Postscript stuff from the
Unix boxes.

Whew! Should keep me outta trouble (with everyone except my wife) for a
while....

--
Steve Sandau
ssandau at bath.tmac.com