[rescue] those who should be shot

Harri Haataja harri.haataja at cs.Helsinki.FI
Sun Mar 3 10:01:49 CST 2002

On Sun, Mar 03, 2002 at 09:35:04AM -0600, Mike Hebel wrote:

> >> David - beloved
> HH> Same as Amanda AFAIK.
> HH> No place I've looked seems to know about Harri (or Harry).
> (www.behindthename.com)

Ah..

> Is it me or is this list filled with "names of power"? ;-)

It's just that the world is probably filled with names of power.
Nomen est omen and parents.

.fi surnames are often occupational or features of some of the ancestry.
For example Korhonen would mean "slightly deaf" (-nen is a diminutive)
and Rautiainen um.. "slightly smith?" Well, Rautio is a blacksmith,
rauta being iron. Koivu, Koivula, Koivukangas, Koivuluoto ... are all
derived from birch (the tree) and Mdnty names from pine respectively.

So the surnames are hardly as grandiose (here) =)

(Torvalds is more of a swedish name BTW. Maybe about Thor, val would be
choice but I don't know.)

The Icelandic have funnily preserved their naming scheme that consist of
the father/mother-of "surname" and have all their name lists (like
phonebooks) sorted by first name.

Is the topic drifting? Not "those who should be shot" I mean, but rescue
=)