[rescue] those who should be shot

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Sat Mar 2 13:53:07 CST 2002

> Kurt:
>
> Most of them. Tell me what John or Jim or Bob etc mean?
>
> -Mike (or even my name for that matter)

ROBERT (m) "bright fame" from Germanic hrod "fame" and beraht "bright". The
Normans introduced this name to Britain. It belonged to three kings of
Scotland, including Robert the Bruce who restored the independence of
Scotland from England in the 14th century. The author Robert Browning and
poets Robert Burns and Robert Frost are famous literary bearers of this
name. Also, Robert E. Lee was the commander of the Confederate army during
the American Civil War.

JOHN (m) English form of Johannes, which was the Latin form of the Greek
name Ioannes, itself derived from the Hebrew name Yochanan meaning "YAHWEH
is gracious". This name owes its consistent popularity to two New Testament
characters, both highly revered as saints. The first was John the Baptist,
the forerunner of Jesus Christ who was beheaded by Herod Antipas. The second
was the apostle John who was also supposedly the author of the fourth Gospel
and Revelation. The name has been borne by 23 popes, as well as kings of
England, Hungary, Poland, Portugal and France. It was also borne by the poet
John Milton and the philosopher John Locke.

JAMES (m) English form of JACOB that comes to us through the Latin form
Iacomus. In the New Testament James is an important apostle, the brother of
the apostle John. The Book of Acts states that he was beheaded by Herod
Agrippa. Another James is also mentioned in the Bible as being the brother
of Jesus. Kings of England and Scotland have had this name. Other famous
bearers include the inventor of the steam engine James Watt, the explorer
Captain James Cook, and the novelist and poet James Joyce.

JACOB (m) "to hold the heel" or "supplanter" from the Hebrew name Ya'akov.
The biblical Jacob (later called Israel) was born holding his twin brother
Esau's heel. He was the son of Isaac and Rebecca and the father of the
twelve founders of the twelve tribes of Israel. A famous bearer of this name
was Jacob Grimm, the German linguist and writer who was, with his brother
Wilhelm, the author of 'Grimm's Fairy Tales'.

MICHAEL (m) From the Hebrew name Mikha'el meaning "who is like God?". This
was the name of one of the seven archangels in Hebrew tradition and the only
one identified as an archangel in the Bible. In the Book of Revelation in
the New Testament he is portrayed as the leader of heaven's armies, and thus
is considered the patron saint of soldiers. This was also the name of eight
Byzantine emperors and a czar of Russia. Other more modern bearers of this
name include Michael Faraday, a chemist and physicist who did important work
in magnetism and electricity in the 19th century, and basketball player
Michael Jordan.

KURT (m) German contracted form of CONRAD

CONRAD (m) "bold counsel" from Germanic kuon "bold" and rad "counsel". This
was the name of a famous 10th-century bishop from Switzerland. It was also
borne by several kings of Germany. In the English-speaking world it has been
common only since the 19th century.

I can't take credit for this - to find more visit www.behindthename.com.

Kurt