[rescue] Rescued: Vaxstation 3100

dave at cca.org dave at cca.org
Sat Mar 2 06:46:40 CST 2002

wilby98 at yahoo.com writes:

>> Found out that there is a serial console/monitor-VT keyboard
>> console selector when reading up on it at Vaxarchives, but I
>> had to drill a hole to get access to the dip switch from outside
>> the case.

>I don't understand why you would drill a hole in the case.
>Why not open the case and set the switches the way you want
>to and then close it. How often would you need to have access
>to that feature? I try to avoid altering the appearance as much
>as possible of any device I have.

Odd thing about that switch - if you're using a serial console
terminal, you usually want the switch down to boot, then up once
you're running. It's *really* annoying that it's not a nice big
proper switch (as on the microvax-II). I guess they were really
expecting the vaxstations to be primarily used as graphic workstations
(in which case you just leave the switch up).

------ David Fischer ------- dave at cca.org ------- http://www.cca.org ------
----------------- Live each day like the Triffids are coming. -------------