[rescue] those who should be shot

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Fri Mar 1 22:03:24 CST 2002

On Fri, Mar 01, 2002 at 06:16:17PM -0800, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:

> But nothing matches the amount of anger that I felt when I saw an automatic
> Porsche! The humanity....... the horror!

I've heard some reasonably convincing arguments for why that isn't too bad
of an idea, not that I want one.

For instance, perhaps the driver only has one leg.  Perhaps the driver wants
to be able to operate a handgun and steer at once (that was used as an excuse
for an automatic mustang in a Mercedes Lackey book, Gnome Man's Land I think
was the title).

Or, perhaps the car is meant for a drag strip, and the owner wants a computer
controlled tranny for mathematically superior shifting.  But then, a dedicated
drag porche is kinda a waste.

Finally, a sequential tranny with paddles, or maybe a very sophisticated
control computer (that allows manual override) would be kinda nice somedays.

--
Joshua D. Boyd