[rescue] StorageWorks cabinet rescue

Eric Dittman dittman at dittman.net
Fri Mar 1 16:10:48 CST 2002

> I'd already checked that.  It showed the correct size.
>
> I figured this out.  It appears that I happened to end
> up with the same 1st drive as was used for a previous
> configuration,  with the valid partition label from
> that config.  Format was reading the old data, and not
> querying the drive at all.  After a
> dd if=/dev/zero of=/dev/dsk/c1t0d0s2
> it reads the correct size.

You should always initialize the devices before
you try to use them, to avoid these issue.

> Unfortunatly, after being on overnight, the battery finally
> changed state from "Cache battery charge is low" to
> "Cache battery failed diagnostic testing"

The batteries (there are two) are dead.

> Which disables all RAID5 disksets.  I've fallen back to
> a simple stripe, but I'd like to get it fixed.
> Is there any chance it'll finish charging eventually,
> or am I going to have to buy new batteries?  If buy,
> where might I find them?  BTW: I am told that it sat
> powered-down for more than 2 years.  Could this have damaged
> the batteries?

Yes,k leaving them powered-down for a long time without
removing or disabling the batteries will cause this.

To get around this problem, change the jumper on the
cache board to disable the batteries, remove the old
ones, and change the CACHE settings.  You could also
just remove the cache board.

You can use RAID5 without good batteries with the
cache installed, but you have to make sure you have
a UPS, and a way to flush the cache before the UPS
runs out.

You can buy the batteries from either Compaq, a third-
party vendor, or the manufacturer.  The name is on the
batteries, and I seem to remember they are around $50
each.

> >You can install larger drives, but you'll have to be careful
> >to either get drives that have the same SCSI ID pinouts, or
> >jumper the drives to a specific ID and then make sure you
> >don't cause any conflicts.  You also are limited with the
> >BA350 to narrow drives, and from the firmware you have I
> >think 4.3G disks.  I have a later firmware I can email you,
> >which you can upgrade using kermit on the serial port.
>
> Thanks, please do. How large does the later firmware allow?

9G.  There's a later one that I think allows 18G, but I
don't have a copy at this time.

> Also: so those are BA350 shelves?  I saw some mention of them in
> my google searches, but wasn't sure.  I'll go look at what I can
> find on them now.

If they have two fifty-pin SCSI connectors built in beside
the slot 0 connector, then they are BA350 shelves.

> >> Question 3) Where can I find documentation for this?
> >> I have a copy of the "SWXRC-04 RAID Array Controller User's Guide"
> >> that came with it, but I'd like to find out as much as I can.
> >
> >Is this the large (~1 inch think) manual?
>
> yep. Actually, there are 2 of them.  If anyone wants one
> I'll give it away for free.  It's appears pretty good for
> information about the command line utilities, and how
> to swap parts, but it doesn't go into the things one
> needs to know how far one can go outside the suplied
> hardware.

I have the PDF manuals for the BA350 and BA356 shelves
available via anonymous ftp on dittman.net.  I also
have the HSZ40 service manual (the SWXRC-04 is the
same as the HSZ40, with a different internal ID) I
can put there as well.

> >> Question 4) does anyone have spare SBB's that I can have?
> >> I might even be willing to pay :-)
> >
> >These are available cheap on eBay.
>
> I saw a few after I emailed.  I'll probably be bidding before long.

Just remember, if you have BA350 shelves, avoid the wide drives.
--
Eric Dittman
dittman at dittman.net