[rescue] unix network management tools

Dan Sikorski me at dansikorski.com
Fri Mar 1 10:45:45 CST 2002

I am going to be helping design a laboratory exercise for my "Enterprise
Network Management" class here at Purdue University.  The focus of this
lab is going to be UNIX network analysis and management tools.
(Previously, this lab only used windows network analysis/management
tools, and this is the first semester that there's going to be a UNIX
lab, so i'm happy to help out)  The lecture of the class is based on the
o'reilly book "Network Troubleshooting Tools" (Basilisk) by Joseph D.
Sloan, and the professor wants to integrate the tools in the book into a
lab exercise.

My question to list members is this:  What UNIX network management tools
do you use in the field, and what tools would you expect/want a new
recruit to have basic knowledge of?

Each lab group has at their disposal 3 compaq/intel PC's, so the OS's
will be solaris/x86, linux, or *BSD (any combination thereof, this can
be dictated, or left up to the lab groups to decide).  I may also bring
in some of my own sun/sgi hardware to demo, but i don't have quite
enough to give each lab group a machine to borrow. (but i am close :) )
Most of the students have a small amount of experience with solaris/x86,
as it was used in lab exercises of another class, but keep in mind that
the focus of this lab is not to learn other OS's but to use UNIX network
analysis/management tools, an OS should be chosen because it's the
best/easiest to accomplish this within a limited time frame by UNIX
novices.

Things that i am currently considering:  tcpdump, etheral, a SNMP MIB
browser, ntop, nmap, as well as a run over of the basics (ping,
traceroute, etc.)

All suggestions, thoughts, and comments are welcome, either on, or
off-list.

	-Dan Sikorski