[rescue] those who should be shot

Chad Fernandez fernande at internet1.net
Fri Mar 1 10:04:11 CST 2002

Gary Nichols wrote:
> how many possible ways can
> someone NOT pronounce Linux correctly?  Listen to Linus' sound-byte...
> he says "lynn-ucks" so that's how I'm going to say it.  Here are the
> variants I've heard this week: (*groan*)
> Lie-nucks
> Lie(1 second pause)-nucks
> Lean-ucks
> Lie-nicks

I pronounce it like your last spelling.  However, I know I should
pronounce it "nucks" not "nix".  Lynn-ucks is not the correct
pronunciation for an American.  It's correct pronunciation for someone
from Finland! (linus T. is Finish right?)

Linux is based on his name "Linus" and "x", I suppose "x" is from Unix.
Here in America Linus is pronounced Lie-nus, so Linux should be
Lie-nucks....  nucks rhyming with ducks.  Actually I suppose the n goes
with the first syllable.

Let Linus set the pronunciation in his language, not ours.

Chad Fernandez
Michigan, USA