[rescue] Amazing customer service

Stephen Worotynec sgw at vex.net
Sun Jun 30 17:49:07 CDT 2002

It's a hot lazy Sunday afternoon. I've finally got some time to fool
around with my newly ordered DSL service.

Sun PPPoE on Solaris 9 is working, but I notice that the DSL modem (a GVC
BB0040) docs claim it has a builtin PPPoE client. That would be great to
use, since I have a znyx quad NIC card that doesn't seem to work under 9,
and I'd like to try the PPPoE-less Solaris 8 7/01.

The GVC manual isn't what I'd call generous with information. I'm serial
consoled into the modem, trying to get the configuration working...

The phone rings...it is a sysadmin at the DSL provider calling me to
mention that he is seeing an incorrect password while tailing the RADIUS
logs. So it is! Did I mention it's a Sunday afternoon, and that he called
long distance, and that tomorrow is a national holiday here in Canada?

Customer service for consumer level services often sucks, but sometimes it
is flabbergastingly and proactively amazing! I am still in shock about
this.

Stephen Worotynec