[rescue] Re: Solaris 9 CDs

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sat Jun 29 17:28:47 CDT 2002

On Sat, 29 Jun 2002, Torquil MacCorkle, III wrote:

> Also, what are they charging for the SMP-able solaris 9?

Look at
http://store.sun.com/catalog/doc/BrowsePage.jhtml?cid=82431&parentId=82426
for the multiprocessor OS licenses... it's based on whether you're using a
desktop or (workgroup|midrange| datacenter) server, and what block of CPUs
you have. 2CPU workgroup server is $249/A, 2-4CPU desktop is $199/A.

If you have any Sun VAR contacts, see if they can get you the discounts.
Cat A tends to be 20-40% depending on the company/reseller.

The software is not different--I use the same OS media kit to install to a
SS20 as to an E4500. It's a licensing matter. This is how it used to be
before the free licensing of Solaris 7-8. Sun will probably[1] not hunt
you down if you run the free downloaded images on your 14-cpu E4500 at
home, but it's your decision.

--Rob

[1] IANAL. YMMV. TUANSTAAFL. I81B4U.