[rescue] sun 2 media questions

Walter Belgers walter at belgers.com
Sat Jun 29 13:25:51 CDT 2002

Hi all,

I collect old (Unix) systems and just got my hands on a Sun 2/50-2 and a
Sun 2/170. I have experience with a Sun 3/280 and Sun 4 series.
Unfortunately, my oldest SunOS version I have lying around is 4.1.1. The
2/170 has no disk but I have a (xy-connector) disk lyring around I had
with my 3/280.

Is there an easy way to get SunOS 4.0.3 somewhere? I found out the 2/170
will run NetBSD, but not the 2/50. The latter needs to netboot, do you
need special software for that? (I have set up tftp/bootparamd/nfs/..
before, that's not the problem). The 2/50 has no SCSI board.

As a thank-you for reading, here's an interesting story: I had a Sun
3/280 in my attic, and somebody from Korea found out and bought it from
me. He has a customer that is still running production on a 3/280 and he
wanted a spare system. Great, a 15-year old Sun still doing production
work!

Cheers,
Walter.
--
Walter Belgers         "Si hoc signum legere potes, operis boni in rebus
walter at belgers.com       Latinis alacribus et fructuosis potiri potes!"