[rescue] my new sig

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Thu Jun 27 21:33:20 CDT 2002

On Thu, Jun 27, 2002 at 08:35:02PM -0400, Linc Fessenden wrote:

> > I find these statements to describe many of the high profile christians
> > in the nonconformist churches in Sweden, and in the Christian Democratic
> > Party, but there is also some that are really tolerant, but they are
> > mostly from the national state church, or closly related nonconformist churches.
> >
> > And I guess it's the same all around the world, including the US.

> Isn't it funny that any time someone lumps a whole group of people
> together in a negative manner or fashon it's viewed as
> descrimination............  Unless you are talking about Christians, and
> then it's open season.  Think I'm wrong?  Replace the above quoted
> "christians" with any other descriptive group of people, muslims,
> africans, women, etc., and see what happens.

High profile is hardly a whole large group.  It is the select few who
are probably mainly high profile for their extremism.  For instance, I
doubt I would have heard of Jerry Fallwell if he didn't get in the
press so much for being outrageous.

People from quite groups that focus on people rather than issues and
accusations generally don't get in the press much.  How many Brethren
and Mennonite groups does one see in the press?  It not like they are
quite and doing nothing.  They send people far and wide but generally
focus on people rather than issues and politis.  Not that either are
flawless either.  In the states at least, then both have somewhat of a
tendency (historically at least) to withdraw into themselves.

Look, I'm not trying to make much of a fuss here.  I'm just trying to
say that telling people they are wrong and going to hell doesn't do
much for most people.  Being there when they are in need does.  And
this applies to all groups, not just christians.  I'm sure this is why
there is a growing rate (sorry, numbers and sources lost) of people
converting to muslim in jail, and again this is why muslims would have
been so well accepted in Afhanistan (initially at least) because they
came and rescued a people from the war lords.

--
Joshua D. Boyd