[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

George Adkins george at webbastard.org
Wed Jun 26 23:54:25 CDT 2002

> If this sounds kinda hazy, it is mainly because I don't have handy my
> definition of what a strict vector is.  I know that [x y z w] doesn't
> count, mainly because of the w element.  And I know that packing two
> sound samples together like [right-chanel1 left-chanel1 right-chanel2
> left-chanel2] doesn't count because the right will usually mean
> something different.  [right-chanel1 right-chanel2 right-chanel3
> right-chanel4] would count though.

as I understand it, this would mean that things like fft's on large data sets
should be much faster...
Because instead of :

select operation 1
fetch value (element 1)
perform operation
store result
fetch value (element 2)
perform operation
store result
(and so on...)

you can instead do:

fetch Vector (elements 1 to n)
select operation 1
perform operation (on all elements in Vector)
select operation 2
perform operation (on all...)
select operation 3
perform operation (on all...)
store fully processed Vector (elements 1to n)

George