[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Big Endian bigendian at mac.com
Wed Jun 26 12:40:04 CDT 2002

>On June 25, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
>>  The truth is that discussions like these are moot. Vector is hardly used
>>  anymore,
>
>   Umm, what?  Do you not have much contact with the research community
>or something?  There's a LOT of vector stuff going on in areas of
>fluid mechnics and oil exploration, since (apparently) both of those
>areas have a few problems that map very well to vector machines.
>
>>  and when it is usually specialized SIMD approaches are used in that
>>  field.
>
>   Umm, WHAT?  Show me one vector machine that ISN'T a "specialized SIMD
>approach".

Aren't "Vector Processor" and "SIMD processor" synonymous?

daniel
"Yay aytch lich ... trurtreen oven prerkrershetch... naw lich luleven
... naw wush thrurteen..."
--"Thirteen fucking percosets?!?! Dude the most I ever ate was like
six. Holy shit."
"Aywhirr schmall."
--"What, like 5's?"
"Mm mm mm... mebee..."