[rescue] Favorite Terminals

Chris Petersen havoc at apk.net
Wed Jun 26 16:10:12 CDT 2002

On Wed, Jun 26, 2002 at 02:44:54PM -0400, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> [ On Wednesday, June 26, 2002 at 10:23:20 (-0400), Chris Petersen wrote: ]
> > Subject: Re: [rescue] Favorite Terminals
> >
> > I used to have a VT-1300 (think that was the model #), grayscale X-term with
> > built-in IP stack and full range of Digital Terminal emulations.  19"
> > greyscale tube with very crisp resolution, made for a gorgeous serial
> > console...
>
> I think that would be the VT-1200, but I never used enough different models
> to become familiar with them.

Yep, Greg, you're right.  VT-1200, grayscale, nice unit.  VT-1300 was the
predecessor to the VXT2000/VXt1000, and *didn't* have the built-in IP stack
& X11.  The VT-1300/VXT series XTerms netboot (as an aside, I have the 2.0
and 2.1 boot images for these for just about any platform...).

> Whichever is the monochrome is the one I want too!  :-)
> (The newer VX259 might be a better choice though)
>
> Ah, yes, here's the scoop:
>
> 	http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal/dec.html
> 	http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal/xterminal_news.txt
>
> Supposedly with the VR319 monitor a VT-12xx does 1280x1024 @ 72Hz.
>
> The only problem of course is the damn thing only runs X11R4 in firmware.

Ahh, yes, but what *was* nice about it was the fact that you *didn't* have
to muck about with net-booting or anything.  You just dropped it on your
network as an X11R4 appliance.  Limited, but absolutely no fuss.  This saved
my tail a couple of times with early rescues (loaded DECStation 5000s) that
I didn't have any access to via a login - I was able to arp for it (don't
remember how) and then hacked my way in...Damn, *that's* been a while...

> BTW, this page is an awsome resource about terminals:
>
> 	http://www.cs.utk.edu/~shuford/terminal/

Now marked on my list for review...I've got a stack of terminals at home:

(1) VT220
(2) VT420s
(1) Wyse-150
(2) IBM units (can't remember number, these aren't 3270/5250 series units)
(1) Espirit

The IBMs were nice to use with my headless RS/6000s, since they plug right
in and just work.  Personally, though, I think I'd like to get rid of the
lot and get my hands on a VT520 (think that's right, the unit that uses the
same chassis as a Multia?) or a *crimson* screen VT510 (yes, I had one at
one spot I worked - hard to beat for cool factor, even if it was tough to
read at times under full light...)

Chris

Chris Petersen			  E-mail: havoc at apk.net
Systems Engineer, ExperTeam Services, EDS PLM Solutions