[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 26 15:03:14 CDT 2002

On June 26, Joshua D Boyd wrote:
> > BTW. I am a SIMD man, because the world is SIMD. :-) So I am betting my
> > future on vector-like processors coming back in fashion!!!!
>
> You mean like Altivec and SSE2?  Nobody seems to be using them to full
> potential.

  They're largely simply not understood.  Most programmers today
simply don't know what vector processing (or SIMD for that matter) is,
much less understand how to effectively make use of it.  I believe
they need to take steps to educate the developer base.  What those
steps should be, however, I really don't know.

        -Dave