[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 26 14:04:19 CDT 2002

On June 26, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> > >   The fact that big Linux clusters get a lot of press does not translate
> > > to "vector is is hardly used anymore".
>
> Well if you look at the 500 list for June 2002:
>
> Vector machines = 41  (8.2%)
> Scalar machines = 459 (91.8%)
>
> If we do the same query for June 1993:
>
> Vector = 332  (66.4%)
> Scalar = 144  (26.6%)
> Other  = 35   (7%)
>
> .... enough said.

  Well, not quite enough said.  Looking at history you will find (and
I'm sure you already know this) that vector processing was just about
the only way to get really serious cost-is-no-object numeric
performance out of a single processor until fairly recently (past 15
years or so maybe?).  Since then scalar processors have become much
MUCH faster, not meaning to state the obvious.

  These statistics reflect that as much as anything else in my opinion.
Your opinion may differ, and I respect that, since (unlink
Mr. Hedemark) everyone here already knows that you know what you're
talking about! ;)

          -Dave