[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Wed Jun 26 13:55:54 CDT 2002

On June 26, Francisco Javier Mesa-Martinez wrote:
> >   Umm, what?  Do you not have much contact with the research community
> > or something?
>
> I have a LOT of academic contact sire, way more that thou so I do not have
> anything to prove in this aspect.

  I have no doubt of that...but I said the "research" community, not
"academic" community.  There prevailing attitude amongst the academic
research community (which is where I did my first supercomputer work,
by the way, so that's not exactly foreign to me) is that all research
happens at colleges...this is not the case.  A *lot* of it, sure...but
certainly not all of it.  (not trying to be argumentative, just trying
to illustrate this from a different perspective)

  Ft. Meade, for example, has a LOT of vector hardware...a significant
percentage of all vector hardware is installed at that facility, and
it's not going anywhere.

  I'll argue about the rest of it later.  And yes I'm quite aware that
vector != SIMD, thanks...This IS the only thing I do with my life, you
know. ;)

        -Dave