[rescue] Favorite Terminals

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Wed Jun 26 13:21:53 CDT 2002

[ On Wednesday, June 26, 2002 at 06:40:13 (-0700), Fogg, James wrote: ]
> Subject: RE: [rescue] Favorite Terminals
>
> VT-anything, LA-anything/decwriter (I like noise and paper) and Wyse (for
> compatibility with anything).

Wyse?  Compatability?  Together that's an oxymoron!  :-)

Even the best of the lot, the venerable WY-85, is just barely functional
as a replacement for any real terminal.  It fixes emulation bugs it
shouldn't have fixed, and then has bugs of its own -- not to mention
that with several different keyboard variants it's almost impossible to
get any keypunch/wordpro/spreadsheet/etc. application to mimic a real
terminal without making special termcap/terminfo variations.

(admittedly my knowledge of Wyse terminals falls off after the model 120
or so -- perhaps newer ones are better?)

> I get lots of crap for configuring my xterms to look like greenscreens.
> Sometimes I set them for amber.

If I really am forced to use a colour X terminal for any length of time
then I try to pick a color which doesn't create artifacting or focus
problems with the tube mask.  Sometimes that's paper-white with black or
dark-grey, but sometimes I use green or some mix of green and red.  Even
then I end up having to take extended breaks every couple of hours.  I
really _LOVE_ my Sun bwtwo hi-res!  :-)

--
								Greg A. Woods