[rescue] The Age of Things [was: Re: my point]

Corda Albert J DLVA CordaAJ at NSWC.NAVY.MIL
Wed Jun 26 12:04:12 CDT 2002

Projection TV was also an early development that faded
away when picture tube sizes began to increase.  It has
only recently re-emerged because of tube size limitations
and tech. feasibility.

There are many such examples in history. Speech synthesis
was being done before the turn of the century (or possibly
earlier, as my memory is fuzzy on this) using a physical
model of the vocal tract, combined with air bellows and a
piano-like keyboard to control the model. Also, a number
of purely mechanical robotic mechanisms fabricated with
an amazing degree of complexity were built in the 18th century
(if anyone is curious, do a web search on "Vaucanson").

BTW, one if my favorite mags is the American Heritage
"History of Invention and Technology". They come up
with some arcane but interesting, articles (the article
on actress Heddi Lamar's patents for a spread-spectrum
comms system (1930's? 1940's?) comes to mind 8-)

-al-
-acorda at 1bigred.com