[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Tim H. lists at pellucidar.net
Wed Jun 26 09:48:53 CDT 2002

Back before I started dating my wife, she was working at Sam's Club(so
was I at the time), and got a lecture from management for hacking
because she alt-tabbed out of the membership management program and ran
solitaire. (windows 3.1 days)  Management didn't even know the machines
were running DOS/Win31, they thought they were running some custom
software because they autolaunched the program full screen.  It always
amazed me that a company which actually makes use of significant
technology (Satellite link to every store, with leased line fallback,
wireless handheld terminals for inventory, etc) depended so much on
security through obscurity.  And even though the company uses so much
technology, I had to browbeat the GM into writing off a computer for
store use, they didn't have one.  Boy I am glad I am out of retail.

Tim