[rescue] self combusting Sun hardware

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Wed Jun 26 07:24:30 CDT 2002

On Wed, 2002-06-26 at 02:17, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:

> Now THAT would be something to see. :-)

See, yes, smell, NO!

The Sun SE that came out confided this was the second time in a year he
saw a workgroup server do that.

They went through the pain and expense of replacing every single
component save for the chassis.  I suggested they should just take the
whole thing back, using the chassis as a bucket for scorched parts.
They wanted nothing of it.

A few months later one of the SCSI controllers fried itself.  The next
SE that came out said that the previous SE didn't seat it properly and
its a wonder it worked at all.  When he popped in a new controller, he
realized he unplugged all of the SCSI cables to give himself some room
but didn't make note of the order they were attached in (this was a
fully populated E450).  Doh!  Needless to say he couldn't get the
combination right so we ended up restoring a quarter TB from tape
(GRRRRR)

The Netapp Filer that replaced the file serving functions of that box
performed admirably, and worked as promised by the salespeople (imagine
that!)