[rescue] liebert challenger rescue...

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Tue Jun 25 19:55:27 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 03:12:18PM -0700, Skeezics Boondoggle wrote:
> oh, the pain!
>
> i had an offer fall in my lap for a liebert challenger 3000 w/humidifier
> across town for... i shouldn't say... okay, it rhymes with "$500".

bastard!

> just one small problem: it's configured for 480vac input.  conundrum:
> cheaper to pay the $3-5K as quoted by our local rep to swap out all the
> guts necessary for 208-volt operation (to match our existing panel), or
> find a buck&boost xfmr to step up to the proper voltage?

this has little to do with HVAC and more to do with electrical.  converting the
beast to the correct voltage will possibly cost more up front (it's hard to
say, big ass stepup transformers ain't cheap) but will most definitely cost
less in the long run by reducing your power bill.  transformers consume a
considerable amount of power (all turned into heat).  price out what an xfmr
will cost you, and see, but i think converting is your best bet.

-brian
--
"I mean Twinkies are good but getting shot really hurts."
				-- http://www.thisisatastyburger.com/ --