[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Brian Hechinger wonko at 4amlunch.net
Tue Jun 25 10:26:27 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 11:16:14AM -0400, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> One of the neat things about OpenBSD... firewalling is built in.  It
> takes about 5 minutes or less after the machine is booted for the first
> time to lock down additional services, and then set up the stateful
> packet inspection firewall to make sure only the right IP ranges can hit
> the right services (and further, that the host itself can only
> *initiate* certain kinds of connections to specific hosts)

because it's possible to run OpenBSD on everything.  you must work for some
magical company where OpenBSD runs on 14 CPU Ultra Enterprise servers and that
crappy windows based accounting software runs on OpenBSD.

hop off the OpenBSD bandwagon for a second.  sure, it's useful, but only for
certain things.  you build a network to be safe, because sometimes you can't
lock a machine down tight no matter how hard you try (*cough* windows *cough*)

-brian
--
"I mean Twinkies are good but getting shot really hurts."
				-- http://www.thisisatastyburger.com/ --