[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Tue Jun 25 08:42:46 CDT 2002

On Tue, Jun 25, 2002 at 08:26:13AM -0400, Linc Fessenden wrote:
> On Tue, 25 Jun 2002, Dave McGuire wrote:
>
> >   Does it strike anyone as odd that most of the people we know who
> > have Windows boxes only use them for playing games?
> >
> >          -Dave
>
> Actually I get that question all the time when telling people M$ is not
> the way to go..  They ask "how then do I play my games?"..  My answer is
> of course if they want games they should go buy a playstation.

I've come to the opinion that with a few exceptions, the PSX is not
well suited to playing 3D games.  That just make my eyes hurt most of
the time.

Although Fear Effect is good, as is Tempest-X, and a few others.  The
key is find a way to get textures to not move.  And textures that
aren't there are textures that can't jiggly, wiggle, or flicker [1].

Anyway, while I love my PSX for all the 2D and few gem 3D games on it,
I'd generally recommend a DC, N64, or PS2 or Gamecube.

Of course, FPS generally suck so far on console systems (although I
see no reason why games for the current generation shouldn't support
keyboards and mice).

--
Joshua D. Boyd

[1]  Did anyone else ever make the mistake of buying an S3 Virge "3D
     acclerator"?  I did.  The only game it ever did anything for was
     tomb raider.  But man, what a different it made there.  Sure, the
     frame rate dropped a little versus CPU rendering, but it wasn't
     bad, and in return I got higher color depth, better shadows, and
     most importantly, the textures behaved.