[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Tue Jun 25 07:36:27 CDT 2002

Dave McGuire wrote:

>   Also along those lines, I've given up on addressing your CISC/RISC
> assumptions because it's clear that you just don't understand.  I'm
> sorry, but that's just going to have to be your problem, as I have
> work to do.  In the interest of helping my fellow man, I will refer
> you to "High Performance Computing" by Dowd and Severance for more
> information.  It offers excellent, mostly non-theoretical discussion
> on the topic.

Heh... I just looked in my bookshelf and found exactly that very book
standing, unopened. Shame on me!

My former employer was overambitious at one time and thought that "the
techies" needed to keep up, so he practicly told us to buy books - lots
of'em. It turned out that we admins had about 1% of the developers total
expense in books, so what should I do?
I quickly turned my head at O'reillys website and started searching for
anything that could be useful. Turned out that I ordered "High
Performance Computing", "UNIX Backup & Recovery", "DNS and BIND",
"Managing NFS and NIS" and "System Performance Tuning".

Not that I would have the time to read all those, but I thought it would
make a nice addiction to the wall of O'reillys and perhaps complete the
"line of Unix cookbooks".

--
Vnliga hlsningar/Best Regards
Bjrn Ramqvist, Hgglunds Vehicle AB