[rescue] Re: SMP on intel wasteful?

Andrew Weiss ajwdsp at cloud9.net
Tue Jun 25 01:18:01 CDT 2002

On Monday, June 24, 2002, at 08:04 PM, Robert Novak wrote:

> I could probably run Win2k on a 486/66. Haven't tried, but I might if I
> get bored after vacation. It SMOKES on a Pentium 150 or 233 or P2-233.
> I've done all three of those in the last 2-3 months, as well as XP Pro
> on
> the P2-233 laptop in question (128meg/6gig). Darned thing boots faster
> than my p3-650 laptop with half a gig of ram.
>
> -

Much as I like Win2K compared to NT, I don't feel that it smokes...
unless you're talking about smoking weed.  It's perky on my Dual PPro
200 1MB Cache with half a gig of RAM, but it sucks monkey nuts on a
single CPU P-200 256K with 128 MB RAM.  All the other machines I put it
on ... from a Pentium 90 to a Pentium II 233 (and all in between), and a
CyrixM333 didn't like it nearly as much for raw speed as they did NT 4.0
Workstation.

Andrew