[rescue] Favorite Terminals

Greg A. Woods woods at weird.com
Tue Jun 25 00:20:42 CDT 2002

[ On Monday, June 24, 2002 at 23:18:45 (-0400), Dave McGuire wrote: ]
> Subject: Re: [rescue] Favorite Terminals
>
> On June 24, Greg A. Woods wrote:
> > (of course now my most-used workstation is still the SS-1+ with a bwtwo
> > hi-res mono display, and it replaces my 3/60 with the same monitor....)
>
>   Those Sun monos are so damned sharp it's just ridiculous.  I *love*
> those tubes & framebuffers!

Unfortunately mine's not so damn sharp any more, and switching supply in
my spare is zapped (and swapping the PS units is "hard").  I did some
major tweaking the other day though and other than zapping the
horizontal board (the horiz. size pot, a wire-wound one with a metal
control slot seems to have B+ or some such high voltage on it, and
unfortunately it's only easily reachable through a hole in the metal
chassis -- don't tweak it with an unshielded screwdriver! :-) and having
to swap it (which is quite easy compared to the PSU), it's a lot better
(less keystoning, and focused in all but a few spots).

I've asked a local friend who tunes lots of high-end video monitors in
his day job for help in the order of adjustments -- I had a hard time
not undoing previous adjustments with the next one even though I tried
several "logical" (according to my own old-time B&W TV repair memories)
orders, but the display is still not perfect.  If anyone has a guide or
knows where to find one....

--
								Greg A. Woods