[rescue] Re: Re: SMP on intel wasteful?

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Mon Jun 24 23:34:07 CDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 05:04:40PM -0700, Robert Novak wrote:
>
> > But in short, some PCs can live. And not everyone outgrows computers all
> > that fast. Mom probably made more efficient use of her MGX200 with 16meg
> > than I make of my P4-1.6 with 1gig. Maybe I'll put Outlook and Putty on
> > the MediaGX and trade it for the P4.
>
> Outlook on a MediaGX?  Bwahahahahaha.

I've done stranger things.

> > I could probably run Win2k on a 486/66. Haven't tried, but I might if I
>
> You know what would be really dorky to do?  Find an old quad or 8
> processor 486DX50 machine with a lot of memory and put 2k advanced
> server on that.

I have a quad 486/33 (I think) on the porch. AcerFrame 1000 if memory
serves me. Power supply is shot and the one company that sells the
replacement didn't get back to me so far (been "waiting" 3 years).

I think it has 128MB of RAM. And I have the German version of 2KAS.

If someone wants to build a replacement power supply for it, I'll set it
up.

Rob