[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Mike Johnson mike at enoch.org
Mon Jun 24 22:32:37 CDT 2002

Loomis, Rip [GILBERT.R.LOOMIS at saic.com] wrote:

> You don't need the Cray...just "the little machine that goes
> *ping*".  I've seriously considered trying to find a 2U
> rackmount that I could drill for LED holes in the front, and
> just run it as a spectrum analyzer off MP3s or something.
> Our network/telco room is too boring and needs more
> blinkenlights.

We had a bunch of dead 1U ATX cases laying around and we came up with a
plan.  Pull all the LEDs, fans and a couple power supplies.  Take all
this and build a rack mount LED array complete with fans and redundant
power supplies.  We even pondered making the whole thing controllable
via serial.

Never happened, though.

Mike
--
"Let the power of Ponch compel you!  Let the power of Ponch compel you!"
   -- Zorak on Space Ghost