[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Kurt Huhn kurt at k-huhn.com
Mon Jun 24 22:15:05 CDT 2002

> > I'm sorry, but am I missing something here? I've heard lots of people
> > complaining about how secure various OSes (IRIX, Solaris, etc.) are 'out of
> > the box'. Who cares? How long does it take to secure any modern Unix OS?
>
> Agreed, Who (in their right mind) puts a stock machine out on the exposed
> frontier anyway?  It would be foolish to expose a box to the world without
> first hardening (or at least securing) it.

I think that the problem here is that OS security is already becoming a
lost art.  Folks are allowing themselves to get caught up in the "my OS
is more secure, right out of the box" debate, and failing to see the
obvious - no OS is sufficiently secure right out of the box.  All must
be tweaked, modified, and massaged so that you aren't cracked within 20
minutes of placing it on the 'net.  Gawd that was a bad day...
--
Kurt
kurt at k-huhn.com