[rescue] Is "Sun Microsystems" my friend?

Leslie Connally lesliec at theplanet.com
Mon Jun 24 16:34:22 CDT 2002

Rip wrote last week: "Sun support continues to rock."

This statement startled me, as up to now, I never really thought of Sun as
being very friendly to the small user. "Free" Solaris and Star Office
certainly made them seem awfully friendly though, and I started to think:
"well I _do_ like my pile of sparcstations."

Now, this fan thing doesnt disturb me _too_ much, I mean.. an entire MB to
replace a stupid heatsink?..that _does_ seem a bit excessive.. a free
heatsink te replace a defective desig.. maybe.. an entire MB?.. a bit
wasteful..

(though I'm happy for all you who did!! dont get me wrong !)

 - except Sun's price for a new _fan_ 50x10mm is $60-80... Sun 'dealers'
price $35.. Electonic distro (probably wrong connector) $11.00.

And then I remember a story from several years ago..

A guy I met said he had needed .. an NVRAM or BootPROM or something.. This
was here in Dallas.. back when TI had a Sun pimp onsite. And he called to
try to buy one (BootPROM, not a pimp).. And called agian.. And called
again.  And called again. Finally, he said he actually threatened the poor
phone answering girl with harm if he didnt get a return call. (These days,
that would get you an FBI visit) Back then, only that finally 'allowed him
the opportunity' to purchase a part. This is how I used to think of Sun.
Maybe I will again.

Guys like Bill, they probably have a Sun pimp onsite still (you lucky
bastard!) like TI used to, but us little guys?.. Its not as nice a picture.

Tell me I;m wrong.. Tell me I;m jsut pissed off today.

As an unfair comparison. I remember my 3-year warranty used IBM 486
'server''s keyboard crapped out. A van pulled up in my driveway to deliver
the replacement.!  Boy was I impressed!

Les Connally

These grapes aint sour.. they's jes dont suit my situation.