[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Dave McGuire mcguire at neurotica.com
Mon Jun 24 15:54:50 CDT 2002

  I realize it's bad form to reply to a post that wasn't directed at
me.  But today, I'm afraid that I just don't give a shit.  And since
I'm mentioned by name, I figure that's enough justification, at least
for me.

On June 24, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> Mike, thank you for being the grown up here and actually debating the
> issue on meritorious points.  I have a lot more respect for your
> approach than for Mr. McGuire's (regardless of his standing within this
> mailing list).

  Heh.  That's probably because he's not telling you that you're wrong.

> Yes, you're right, reliability of the bottom end stuff is a major issue
> in the PC world and I make no excuse for it.

  ...and the mid- and top-end PeeCees are unbelievably expensive, even
when compared to real server-class hardware.  Thus dies what little of
your price/performance argument that might have had a smidgen of merit.

> I agree they have staying power.  They were very well designed boxes.
> More and more such systems though are being pushed off to handle network
> infrastructure duties (mail relay, DNS, dhcp, etc) while more
> challenging tasks are increasingly being moved to x86

  What?  You're confusing 2002 with 1996.  Get with the program.  The
Pentium family is dead...The P4 is about as far as Intel is able to
push the architecture (though they might be able to milk it for one
more implementation) and the Itanium is DOA.  *knock knock knock*
HELLO!  If you're a PeeCee hardware guy, I suggest you find another
line of work within the next year or three.

> > Sure, PC's are great if you're ready to throw them out 2 years from now,
>
> I won't throw out anything newer than a Pentium 60 on the x86 side.  I
> would keep older stuff too except my house is getting full so I have to
> raise the bar a little.

  That's pretty amusing.  The most PeeCee centric scrapper that I've
ever met sends everything lower than a PII-400 to the shredder
nowadays.

> > and buy
> > all new ones, as well as upgrade all your software because it no longer runs on
> > the latest version of Windows, but if you want a platform that's more stable
> > than that you need a REAL machine.
>
> I don't do windows.

  Bravo!  So you're not 100% idiot, only about 90%.

  Have a nail-bitingly great day.

       -Dave