[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Mon Jun 24 13:33:30 CDT 2002

> > What's that?  Oh, you need a monitor and keyboard to get into the bios?
> > I'm sorry, I'll just be over here with my powerbook running zterm over a
> > serial port into my Sparc1000.
>
> You don't need a monitor and keyboard to get into some BIOSs.  I
> believe that all you need to do is verify you have a compatible
> machine, and then flash the BIOS.  You will then be limited to what
> video cards you can use if you intend to use a graphics adapter for
> console, and you also probably should make sure to buy a machine with
> serial ports (some don't have them for getting rid of legacy stuff
> reasons). You just need something like LinuxBios (blech) or GrubBios
> (looks cool, and should work with NetBSD).

So I have to go through the song and dance of reflashing a BIOS (which I
refuse to do ever again...I've had 3 motherboards turn into coasters on me
because of hardware problems during flash), which might or might not
result in the machine being somewhat crippled and maybe pissy about what
video card I put in there?

Pardon me, I'll just be over here cuddling sweetly with OpenBoot.