[rescue] cheapness..

James Sharp jsharp at psychoses.org
Mon Jun 24 13:30:06 CDT 2002

> On 24 Jun 2002, Chris Hedemark wrote:
> > Thats quite the arrangement.  I think too many employers try too hard to
> > cut ties with ex employees.  When in reality, they are sometimes the
> > best ones to help with nagging legacy issues that the new folks don't
> > grok.  Terminated employment relationships don't have to be as negative
> > as they typically are.
>
> BTDT, didn't get the shirt, but did get the shaft. Then again, they took
> down the `external' webserver for fear that I would r00t th3y @$$.

When I left $paycheck_bouncing_company about 4 years ago, they thought
they were cool & all by changing the root password on the machine.  Of
course, nevermind the fact that I had and was logging in as root via SSH
keys and not passwords.  I kept root on that machine for several weeks
until someone screwed up a DNS zone file (which caused my mail to bounce),
which I fixed and then put "ALWAYS REMEMBER TO CHECK YOUR DNS FILES" in
/etc/motd.  After that, the machine disappeared.