[rescue] SMP on intel wasteful?

Joshua D Boyd jdboyd at cs.millersville.edu
Mon Jun 24 13:17:23 CDT 2002

On Mon, Jun 24, 2002 at 01:10:53PM -0500, James Sharp wrote:
> > blown even further out of the water than it already is.  Then look at
> > ROM monitor ("BIOS" for you PeeCee guys) support.  Four partitions?
>
> What's that?  Oh, you need a monitor and keyboard to get into the bios?
> I'm sorry, I'll just be over here with my powerbook running zterm over a
> serial port into my Sparc1000.

You don't need a monitor and keyboard to get into some BIOSs.  I
believe that all you need to do is verify you have a compatible
machine, and then flash the BIOS.  You will then be limited to what
video cards you can use if you intend to use a graphics adapter for
console, and you also probably should make sure to buy a machine with
serial ports (some don't have them for getting rid of legacy stuff
reasons). You just need something like LinuxBios (blech) or GrubBios
(looks cool, and should work with NetBSD).

--
Joshua D. Boyd