[rescue] cheapness..

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Jun 24 12:24:22 CDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 12:39, Bill Bradford wrote:

> So, did they pay up?

No.  They did start talking law suits.  I told them to bring it on.  You
can't fire someone and then expect them to work for you.

I let them sweat it out for a couple of weeks.  I'm told they actually
unplugged all of my servers during that time.

After that, I called someone there who I actually liked and told them
how they could be the big hero.  I don't think they ever learned that I
gave her the password.  I let them think that she was smart enough to
figure it out.

I learned later the place had an extremely high turnover rate for
sysadmins, with 6 months being the MTBF.  I went for about 3, told them
I didn't really want to waste time so they need to get a new sysadmin in
and I will pass the baton and be as helpful as I could.  That's what I
get for trying to be helpful.  Good deeds never go unpunished.

> I have a great deal with $former_employer, who also happens to be the ISP
> where all the SunHELP stuff is colocated.  I get a discount on colo fees
> in exchange for helping them with system administration issues from time to
> time, and if they have a big emergency, I come in (working around my "day
> job", of course), help out, and get paid by the hour as well.

Thats quite the arrangement.  I think too many employers try too hard to
cut ties with ex employees.  When in reality, they are sometimes the
best ones to help with nagging legacy issues that the new folks don't
grok.  Terminated employment relationships don't have to be as negative
as they typically are.