[rescue] cheapness..

Linc Fessenden linc at thelinuxlink.net
Mon Jun 24 11:00:45 CDT 2002

On 24 Jun 2002, Chris Hedemark wrote:

> I'm very careful to never let employers see me working with my own
> equipment.  For one thing, it opens up a legal can of worms (i.e. they
> may try to demand inspection of your hard drive to assure them that
> intellectual property isn't being transferred).  I didn't say it makes
> sense, but that's how some companies behave.  Also, you are teaching
> them that they don't have to spend capital on useful hardware if you are
> doing it for them.  Better to whine and complain about how much more
> work you could get done if they bought you a new notebook. :)

Tried that already...  Good thought though.

> If you work in the health care industry or banking industry, you may end
> up having to destroy your hard disks when you pull the machines out due
> to the new privacy laws in the states (are you in the states?).

Yes - in the marketing industry. I don't have a prb if they want the
drives though..  As long as they are replaced they can have them.

> All in all, bringing your own kit to work opens up a can of worms, with
> the employer being the only one REALLY benefiting from your generosity.
> You may think you are a benefactor but it is an illusion.  They would
> still pay you the same if you only used their kit.

True, but I am the primary user of my machines and I use them primarilly
to make my job easier.  They keep track of network stats, temperature
monitoring in the server room, things like that.  I also use them to house
my perconal code to speed up my work.
This is not to say that I didn't wish they coughed up the money to get me
a corporate machine to use instead..

--
-Linc Fessenden