[rescue] cheapness..

Chris Hedemark chris at yonderway.com
Mon Jun 24 11:31:01 CDT 2002

On Mon, 2002-06-24 at 12:01, Kurt Huhn wrote:

> Been there, done that, still laughing at the shock when they layed me
> off and I pulled all my equipment out.  Never again will I ever do
> that...

I've got a good story along those lines.

One place I worked at layed me off, but never heeded my warnings that
they didn't have a backup sysadmin and I was the only one with root
access.

Sure enough, a couple of days later I got an angry phone call asking for
the root password.

"I forgot it."

"Well you'll have to come in and fix it."

"No.  I don't work for you anymore.  But I'd be happy to come in on a
consulting basis for $1,500 per day..."

All of that probably wouldn't have gone down in such a way if my pink
slip wasn't my Christmas present (from a boss who made sure she was on
the other side of the country when the axe fell).