[rescue] CompUSA broadband "router"

Kurt Mosiejczuk kurt at csh.rit.edu
Mon Jun 24 10:21:38 CDT 2002

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Joshua D Boyd wrote:

> The superior geek knows that setting up an OpenBSD firewire only
> impresses nubies and will thus take the off the self solution and use
> his hacking time for something cooler.

Yes and no.  The superior geek feels you should know how to set up the
OpenBSD firewall (or ipchains on Solaris, etc.).  But the superior geek
also understands that his time is precious, and if one does not need
all the bells and whistles OpenBSD (or whatever) provides, then an
appliance is more than adequate.

Actually, that's kindof an extension of why I like OpenBSD.  Yes, I can
make linux or Solaris just as secure (probably), but why go to all that
effort when OpenBSD starts that secure?  Apply that to the appliance
firewall versus OpenBSD.  Granted, with OpenBSD you can see the source
if you want to.... =)

--Kurt