computer building? was[rescue] Noise levels

James Lockwood james at foonly.com
Mon Jun 24 09:00:00 CDT 2002

On Mon, 24 Jun 2002, Bjorn Ramqvist wrote:

> Heh.. HIDs are used for aquariums, with perfect results. The sad part is
> the price... :-(

I've found them to be quite reasonable through lighting suppliers (as
opposed to horticultural or other):

http://www.bulbsa2z.com/

$42 for a 400W MH ballast, $61 for a 1000W.  Normal spectra bulbs
run $14 and $29/ea, though of course you can spend larger amounts on
"aquarium grade" bulbs with different spectra.

I custom mounted my ballast in a 5.25" FH external SCSI case and left the
original fan.  Took about 5 minutes with a drill and most of that time was
spent measuring to make sure everything would fit.

-James