[rescue] Noise levels

Bjorn Ramqvist brt at g.haggve.se
Mon Jun 24 04:57:48 CDT 2002

"Sheldon T. Hall" wrote:

> >$500 in electric bills? A month??
> >What are you running? A Cray X-MP? :-)
>
> Heh.
>
> In the hot parts of the USA, electric bills that size are depressingly
> common in the summer ... and in Texas, where Bill lives, it's "Summer" from
> about April to November.  Not to mention that a normal Summer day in Austin
> is probably several degrees (C) hotter than the hottest heatwave ever
> experienced in Sweden.

Heh, I'd be happy if we could consider the period between May/June and
August/September as "summer". This year Swedens temperature got to be
the highest in several years, topping 32 deg C a couple of days where I
live (upnorth). I think the hottest place in Sweden by that time had 38
deg C. Temperature around 25 deg is somewhat "normal" around midsummer
here. :-)
(Ofcourse, then we get 20-25 deg C minus here in the winter)

> My mother still lives in Atlanta, GA, and her electric bill runs about
> US$450 per month in the summer.  No Cray, either. Atlanta gets a lot of
> "square" days in the summer, where the temperature (F) and the relative
> humidity are the same, like 95/95.  Some are worse, like a week in the early
> 80s where it was 105/98 for 5 days straight.
>
> Under those conditions, you gladly pay $500 per month for air conditioning.

For comparence, a typical electric bill for my apartment (about 90
square meters, and heating is part of the rent), with 3 big honking
aquariums, A/V eq and a couple of computers on 24/7, lands at about $70.
And that's not per month, but three months. Then again, airconditioning
consists of open windows.

You see why I almost fell off the chair. :-)

--
Vnliga hlsningar/Best Regards
Bjrn Ramqvist, Hgglunds Vehicle AB