[rescue] CompUSA broadband "router"

Scott Newell newell at cei.net
Sun Jun 23 14:47:33 CDT 2002

>This is one thing I dont understand, from the "MUZT RUN LINUX ON EVERYTHING"
>crowd.  If the existing firmware does what you need, WHY FUCK WITH IT?

Because I betcha I can think of other uses for a cheap box with several
ethernet ports, decent processor, small amount of bootable flash memory, no
fan, and no rotating media.  And new firmware doesn't need to involve linux
at all--something like RTEMS would be much more interesting to me,
personally, but then I'm into weird embedded stuff.

Furthermore, I like to open up boxes, dump proms, try and figure out how
they work, and on occasion, do a little reverse engineering.  It's mostly
for education.  (At least that's what I tell myself.)  I rarely go to the
trouble of a full-on schematic, unless it's something for work that I
_need_ to be ready to interface to.

newell