[rescue] Re: Sun Ultra 1 or Sun SS20 speed

Robert Novak rnovak at indyramp.com
Sun Jun 23 11:52:29 CDT 2002

On Sun, 23 Jun 2002, Michael Logan wrote:

> For an internet firewall and an atm-to-ethernet
> router, is an dual-SM51 SS20 fast enough? Or should I
> get an Ultra 1?

I think either will do. If your firewall ruleset is simple and your
traffic is relatively light, you shouldn't hit a wall on either. Assuming
your Internet connection isn't on the ATM or the Ethernet, you shouldn't
have any problems at all.

Just for reference: A friend did firewall/proxy for a full T1 into an
internal 100mbps Ethernet network with a bit of forwarding and so forth on
a 64MB SPARCstation 2 running Solaris 2.5.1 or thereabouts.

> I ask because SS20s are so cheap, $24 for complete
> machines or less, whereas Ultra 1s are still rather
> expensive.

There are a pile of Ultra 1s on eBay at the moment for $150-200
buy-it-now. One's a Creator3d 200mhz system at $150 even. There's a stack
of 143s 256/9.1/cd/floppy sitting in the $50s closing in two days. More
than $24, but not as bad as a year or two ago.

Good luck!