[rescue] CompUSA broadband "router"

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Sat Jun 22 09:44:47 CDT 2002

on 6/22/02 10:00 AM, Larry Snyder at larrys at lexis-nexis.com wrote:

> Bill Bradford <mrbill at mrbill.net> wrote:
>>
>> I have better things to do with my time than throw together old crappy
>> *PC* hardware to do NAT for my network.  Its much easier to just buy a
>> cheap box thats actually designed to do it, plug everything in, and turn
>> it on.
>>
>> Some people may enjoy spending a day or just an entire afternoon setting
>> such a thing up, but not me... at least not lately, with the other two
>> members of our sysadmin team at work on vacation or out this weekend..
>>
>> Bill
>
> I have to agree.  I'm ISDN-ish, and for the last few years used a
> Multia connected to a Motorola TA for NAT/PPP management.  A couple
> weeks ago I replaced them w/ a used 3com appliance.  It runs cheaper,
> quieter, cooler, and about 35% faster.  No-brainer.
> -ls-

Hmm. Can anyone recommend a good NAT appliance like the ones mentioned that
has a nice v.90 modem builtin with a slew of features (port redirection,
port blocking, perhaps a dyndns client like the above, too)? I wouldn't mind
getting rid of this 486 machine that I use.

--
Thanks,
Torquil MacCorkle, III