[rescue] U1 fan FCO details (called sun today)

rescue at sunhelp.org rescue at sunhelp.org
Fri Jun 21 13:08:21 CDT 2002

> > [...] Sun didn't want to
> > replace my MB.  They said that the FCO is only valid for fans
> > with five blades and mine has seven.
>
> They didnt ask me how many blades my fan had... but I know
> they ran through a couple revisions of different fans before just
> giving up and sending out boards with bigger heatsinks.

I called this AM to open a case, and just got the (expected) call
back from an actual Sun engineer to verify things.  They're shipping
two U1/200E MBs to replace the only two we have here with fans--
one with a five-blade (that's already stopped) and one with a
seven blade (which is still going fine).

I specifically asked if I could go ahead and get the second one
dealt with even though it had seven blades, and he had no problem
replacing that MB as well.  Same deal as before, postage-paid to ship
it back in the same box.

Sun support continues to rock.  The only bad thing is going to be
getting this ^%&*() C3D/Series3 card wedged onto the new motherboard...

  --Rip