[rescue] Varian 620i, mentioned in your 'post'

Trace the-marshal at shaw.ca
Fri Jun 14 14:08:43 CDT 2002

Hi Dave McGuire,

I recently acquired a Varian 620i.  It is complete, with manuals and everything,
and it didn't cost anything.  I run a small PC Repair company in Thunder Bay, Ontario Canada,
and advertise in the paper to pick up 'unwanted PC's and computer parts' for free.
Anyway, the fellow who gives it to me is retired now but has had it in his basement for about
30 years.  He's kept it dust free and always had plans to use it in an electronics business,
but his wife's plans to throw it away won out.

I came across your 'post' here and thought I'd e-mail to see if you are interested.  I've been
looking for museums to donate it to as well, so even if you are not interested in it, if you
knew anything at all about what it is, or what it does, I would really appreciate hearing from
you.

Thank you,

Jay MacNab
pcfixer at shaw.ca
http://members.shaw.ca/pcfixer

I was surfing for information about it when I came across
your message.

On February 3, Mike Hebel wrote:
> I think we're all in agreement about that.  We're working on that
> right now.

  Good.  Best of luck in your efforts.

> The components are buried under a mountain of trash.  That normally
> wouldn't stop me but I don't actually have the room for the
> components.  If anyone is close by and the want to dig through the
> trash for it I'll be happy to show them where it is.  Unfortunately I
> can't risk it at this point - we need the money and these are the kind
> of people who get annoyed about employees digging through their trash.
> Think upper-class whitebread and you get the idea.
>
> They don't pick up the trash until Wednesday morning so if someone
> wants to go over there late at night be my guest.  The owner drives
> either a Jag or a beat up SUV.  The location is in Barrington, IL on
> RT 14 in the dumpster behind the building to the west of the cigar shop.
>
> Also, my wife says to be wary of bacon just on the safe side.

  Shit, too far for me, I'm in FL.

  Between this and the Mother Lode of classic hardware that Mike Dogas
and I just got royally screwed out of, this has been a VERY upsetting
day.

  By "Mother Lode" I mean: two PDP11/05s, two Data General Nova2-1200s,
a Varian 620i, a Honeywell 316, a CAI16, and an HP 2114b.  I had a
deal with the guy, we were finalizing things and I was about to send
him a check.  Literally my food money.  Then he replies again, wanting
more money because he's getting more offers.  Now all of a sudden the
whole pile is up on eBay.  Later I find out that he'd done the same
exact thing to Mike Dogas, except Mike got one step further...he had
actually sent the guy a check!

  I'm considering taking a little trip back up to Maryland and paying
this guy a little visit...and shoving a king-sized turd down his
fucking throat.

    -Dave

--
Dave McGuire

  a.. Previous message: Re[2]: [rescue] Death of a PDP-11/Clueless office people...
  b.. Next message: Re[2]: [rescue] Death of a PDP-11/Clueless office people...
  c.. Messages sorted by: [ date ] [ thread ] [ subject ] [ author ]